Wednesday, June 27, 2007

How many pips does the average retail forex trader make? -

I m trying to trade forex on my own, with 3 strategies based primarily on technical analysis, supplemented by fundamental analysis. I ve developed these strategies through homework, lots of reading and just a bunch of research. I bought a system in the past and got burned. Now I m doing it myself. Does anyone know the honest average range of pips professional retail traders make every month? My impression was that they make an average 250-500 pips a month. Not to say they do that every month, it s just the result when averaged out. Right now, after 2 months of trading, I ve made a little over 200 pips and I m hoping to maintain that and improve to the 250-500 pip average a month range. Is that realistic? Ideal? What should be my target monthly average to be a truly successful forex trader. It is not wise to have a monthly pip target. If you fall behind your average it is easy to freak out during the last week of the month and make irrational decisions based on greed or fear. The easy way to target your trading is to set a daily pip target or what I like to call a Minimum Acceptable Target (MAP). 15 pips seems to be a conservative daily goal that if hit, will give you over 300 pips per month. The definition of a quot;successful Forex traderquot; is in the eyes of the beholder. What is successful for one might not meet the expectations of another. Personally, I like having a target of increasing my investment portfolio by at least 8% per month. Good luck with your strategies. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment